Tuning in to Kids and Tuning into Teens
Tuning in to Kids is an evidence-based parenting program that focuses on the emotional connection between parents and children. In particular the program teaches parents skills in emotion coaching, which is to recognise, understand and respond to children’s emotions in an accepting, supportive way. This approach helps the child to understand and manage their emotions.
Tuning in to Kids was developed by Dr Sophie Havighurst and Ann Harley in Melbourne, Australia, and has been evaluated in multiple randomised controlled trials that have shown the program leads to positive outcomes including improving parenting, parent-child relationships and children’s emotional competence and behaviour. The program has been particularly effective with children with clinical-level emotional and behavioural difficulties.
Tuning in to Teens is a modification of the Tuning in to Kids program for parents of adolescents. The program provides parents with a greater understanding of their teen’s emotional experiences while teaching specific skills that can assist in being supportive, empathic and staying connected with the young person. The program has been evaluated in a randomised controlled trial of the program with parents of pre-adolescents and is currently being evaluated with parents of secondary school aged children and with carers of adolescents in out-of-home care.
For more information please visit www.mindful.org.au
Mindful: Centre for Training and Research in Developmental Health Department of Psychiatry The University of Melbourne
I have been trained by Dr. Sophie Havighurst and Ann Harley to facilitate these parenting programs which will improve the emotional connection between you and your child/teen.
Emotionally Intelligent Parenting
A six-session parenting program for parents of children and young adolescents.
Would you like to learn how to:
- Be better at talking with your child/teen?
- Be better at understanding your child/teen?
- Help your child/teen learn to manage their emotions?
- Help to prevent behaviour problems in your child/teen?
- Teach your child/teen to deal with conflict?
Tuning into Kids & Tuning in to Teens shows you how to help your child/ teen develop emotional intelligence. Children and Adolescents with higher emotional intelligence:
- Are more aware, assertive and strong in situations of peer pressure
- Have greater success with making friends and are more able to manage conflict with peers
- Have better concentration at school
- Tend to have fewer childhood illnesses
- Are more able to cope when upset or angry
- Have fewer mental health and substance abuse difficulties
- Have more stable and satisfying relationships as adults
- Have greater career success – Emotional Intelligence may be a better predictor of academic and career success than IQ.